While there are different ways to increase website traffic, here are 7 common and effective techniques to getting not simply traffic numbers for your website but highly-targeted visitors. Each technique shall be discussed further on. But first and foremost, it is important to keep in mind that traffic is just a secondary objective. The main goal is to convert traffic into income, which can be easily achieved if the visitors to your site are generally the right profile.
Every website needs a good amount of visitors. Without readers, the very essence of the site’s existence is pointless. That is why once the website is completely setup and installed, the next big challenge that site owners will face is to send visitors to the site.
There are various methods to increase website traffic. But the most popular techniques are as follows:
- Search Engine Optimization – this is widely used by many site owners. Getting to the top of search engine result pages may be relatively tough, but the rewards of achieving the feat are also worth the effort and investment made. Visitors originating from search engines apart from advertising are generally of the highest quality.
- Pay Per Click Advertising – also known as PPC advertising, this may require bigger investments from your end, but this is also the fastest way to get generous amounts of good quality visitors if done properly.
- Article Marketing – by far, this is still the most popular free method of sending loads of visitors to the site. Publishing exceptional quality articles at several top article directories like Ezine, as well as some web 2 properties like Hubpage and Squidoo can boost traffic in a day once the article is published. However, the article must also be well-written with captivating title to catch the attention of the readers. Each article must have a good resource box, as well, that entice readers to crave for more information by following the link to your website.
- Forum Posting – this is another effective technique that targets the right audience if you also participate in niche-related forums. This is also perfect in creating credibility among online communities. If you are successful in establishing well-reputed and highly respected image, you will get a traffic boost to your site from others who have great respect for you.
- Social Marketing – actively participating in popular social sites like Twitter and Facebook is another technique that does wonders in tremendously improving site traffic. If you have thousands of fans in Facebook and Twitter, just think of the exposure that your site will get if your followers will like or re-tweet the contents of your site.
- Social Bookmarking – popular bookmarking sites like Digg, MySpace, and StumbleUpon are widely used by website owners in funnelling traffic to their sites. The more you engage in some of these bookmarking sites, more visitors will also come to your website.
- Blog Commenting – this is widely neglected but still quite effective. Many site owners think that blog commenting is done for SEO purposes. But if you actually provide good value in each comment you make, people will follow you by clicking the link to your site in your profile.
It is important to keep posting fresh, interesting content on your website and using some of the useful methods for driving traffic manually. The three methods below are often used by the top ranking sites on the web and are useful for increasing traffic to your website.
- Tags - the first thing to do is to take advantage of Technorati tags. The way to do this is to tag all the keywords in your blog posts. This can be done manually, or if you have a WordPress site you can make use of a plugin called SimpleTags, which will help to simplify the task. Posts that are tagged are likely to get much more attention than those that are not. In addition to that they will get targeted and useful traffic to your site.
- Transfer Traffic – another useful thing to do is to utilize your existing website. If you have a site that has been operating for some time and is getting a reasonable amount of traffic, then it can be a good idea to try and drive some of that traffic to your new site. A good way to do this is to add a couple of FeedBurner headline blocks on your highly trafficked pages. This will not usually take much time to do and will certainly help to increase visitors to your blog.
- Trackbacks - most of us know about the effectiveness of commenting on other posts but you need to also ensure that you set the correct trackback for it. This will produced results that are varied, dependent on the posts you comment on. If you enjoy interacting with the rest of the blogosphere then this will not only provide free traffic but you will enjoy it as well!
There are many different methods that can be used to increase website traffic, but using these methods effectively at the start could certainly help to boost the daily hits. As the visitors count starts to increase this will certainly make you more motivated to develop your site and take it to the next level.