Having a website gives you an opportunity to make money from web traffic. Your chances of earning higher income become higher if your website is also receiving thousands of monthly visitors. Therefore, keep on blogging to increase the traffic and your income will follow.
But how do you monetize your site? There are many ways to make money online through your blog. You can start with the 21 effective techniques listed below.
Great Ways to Make Money from Web Traffic
- Google Adsense – this is one of the popular methods of making money online. Opening an Adsense is free. Once your account is approved and activated, you can add the Adsense codes in your site and start earning money every time your visitors click on the ads. You can opt for the text ads or the image ads, or a combination of both. The amount you will earn depends on the cost of the keywords. Thus, if the main purpose of your site is for Google Adsense, then you need to target the keywords with higher cost per click to earn more money.
- Contextual ads – another excellent way to monetize your site is through contextual ads like Kontera. Once registered, these advertisers will automatically hyperlink the target keywords in your content to their sponsors. Every time readers click on the link, you will earn money. It is somewhat similar to Google Adsense, except that the clicks are in the context of your article.
- Affiliate Marketing – another popular method is to join affiliate programs. You can set up a site primarily for this purpose. But, you can also be an affiliate of programs that are somehow related to the niche where your site belongs. When someone purchases a product through your affiliate link in the anchor text of your article or in one of the affiliate banners in your site, you shall earn money in terms of percentage commission. Some of the highly recommended affiliate programs to join are Clickbank and Commission Junction.
- Direct selling of goods – if you have products to sell then you can directly promote your products in your website. It is suggested not to aggressively promote your products but to provide value to your prospects first before presenting your product as a viable solution to their problem. This will give you better chance of closing a sale.
- Space rental for advertising – if your site is increasingly popular in various online communities and enjoys sufficient amount of traffic every day, then you can allocate a space in your site for ads placement. You can earn generous income from advertising fees as well. The rates may vary depending on the popularity of your site and the amount of traffic it gets on monthly basis. Obviously, if your site enjoys higher monthly traffic, you can also charge higher advertising rate.
- Offer services – if you have services to offer then promote your services in your blog. This is ideal for freelance writers, SEO experts and financial or marketing consultants.
- CPM advertising – CPM or cost per mile is a form of advertising that allows you to earn per impressions or page views. So if your site has plenty of visitors then your CPM earnings will be higher.
- Direct Banner Advertising – you can also earn generous income via banner advertising either as an affiliate or by allowing others to place their affiliate banners in your site for a certain fee. You can charge higher fees if your site has a good page rank and enjoys huge amount of daily visitors. You can also charge higher fees for banner ads placement at the top of each post.
- Pay per review – make money by reviewing a particular website or a product in one of your posts. This is applicable if your site has already earned a good reputation among the online communities and frequently visited by well-known bloggers and online shoppers
10. RSS feed advertising – you can also earn through RSS feeds. There are millions of RSS users around the world and some RSS sites like the Feedburner and BidVertiser are already adding RSS feeds as part of their publishing networks with similar scheme to the pay-per-click advertising.
11. Premium forum – create a forum and you can charge either a one-time fee to join or a monthly membership fee. Make sure to provide good value to the members to entice them to join, as well as to retain their membership. This is perfect if you have in-demand skills, which you can regularly share with your premium forum members. This is also perfect if you have a couple of highly-respected forum members willing to share their knowledge and expertise to others.
12. Paid guest blogging – for websites with high Alexa rank and high page rank in Google, another method of monetization is to invite other bloggers to guest blog in your site for a certain fee, in exchange for the high PR backlink they will get from your website. This is ideal if your site has thousands of followers as well.
13. Paid surveys and paid polls – you can host a survey in your blog for a certain amount. Some companies are doing market research and one way to get targeted survey takers is to sponsor a survey in a related website.
14. Ask for donations – simply provide value to your readers without strings attached. Those whom you have helped will greatly appreciate the assistance you have provided and shall willingly donate without hesitation. Make sure to add a ‘donate’ button in your website if you want to get extra income from this method.
15. Build and flip – in real estate, some businessmen are engaged in a build-and-sell business. You can do the same in websites. Build a blog, get it to the front page of Google to obtain high monthly traffic, and then flip the site. A lot of online entrepreneurs are earning thousands in every site sold. The amount you will earn depends on several factors like the number of visitors, Alexa rank, Google ranking, monthly earnings, and so on.
16. Turn your site into a marketplace – just like eBay, you can replicate the model by allowing your visitors to buy and sell through your website. Your earnings will come as a percentage of every transaction.
17. Membership site – ask your visitors to join your membership site in order to enjoy some attractive benefits. Those who are successful in this model are providing value to their members like assistance in making money online, access to several online tools, as well as access to monthly offers like product giveaways.
18. Online consultancy – if you are an expert of something then offer your expertise to those in need of your skills via a consultancy scheme. Just like doctors, you can charge for every consultation, depending on the number of hours.
19. Webinars – an increasingly popular technique of monetizing your site is to organize a webinar with a highly-respected keynote speaker who shall talk on a certain topic. Access to the webinar requires payment, thereby allowing you to earn income through your website.
20. Newsletters and subscription – while there are thousands of internet marketers offering free subscriptions to their visitors; you can make yours a paid one, provided it is also worth investing in your subscription.
21. Promote your products in another site – if you are selling products in other sites then promote them in your blog. This is good for eBay sellers.
You will be better off if you focus on one or two techniques. If you start to make money from web traffic, then you can proceed to other methods. You can also add your own method of making money. By all means, optimize your web traffic without excessive promotion, or else you will lose your opportunity to convert them into customers.